Thursday, May 17, 2007

Teenage Girls and CPR

Early yesterday morning...for me at least...9:30. The pastor at my parents church wants to talk to me about what I'm doing this summer. He wants me to be involved and wants to give me speakin oppurtunities.

"I'll let you be involved and do as much as YOU want to do."

I appreciate his confidence in me, especially not really knowing me. But it made me nervous all at the same time.

I love teenagers.

I love girls (not in a gay way, I'm perfectly in like with my boyfriend, Josh, whom I love and respect).

I love hanging out with teenage girls. Just being able to be their friend.

He tells me the teenage girls small group is without a leader at the moment...then he said it. Or asked it. He asked me to step in for the summer.

Just to build relationships with them.
Hang out with them.
Let them know I care, and that I'm there.

Doesn't sound too hard, does it?

I mean, I'm a pretty sociable person and I have gone to Bible College for two years. Plus grown up with a dad that was a pastor.

But I'm scared. I'm nervous.

I know Jesus will help though. He is my strength.

::chuckle inside to myself:: Now is a great time to believe in myself I suppose, eh? Yeah, I've been learning how to do that lately.

NOW ON A COMPLETE DIFFERENT SPECTRUM...
CPR.

The life saving act of performing CPR.

I have the awesome privelege of working under the wondrous Mrs. Molly Boyle who has mentored me and taught me all the ends and outs when it comes to anything related to aquatics.

This week and next week I am going through the process of obtainting my Lifeguard Instructor certification with the American Red Cross.

I can basically train and certify people to become lifeguards...teach them how to rescue people out of water.
-teach them CPR
-teach them First Aid
-teach them how to use an AED (Automated External Defibrilator)

yea, I can teach them how to use the thing that shocks people with a cardiac emergency.

Part of getting this certification is not only helping Mrs. Boyle with the current lifeguarding class, but also teach a whole lesson by myelf to the class.

I teach tommorow.

I teach CPR tommorow.

Talk about being nervous and scared. If I don't teach this the right way, I'm straight up legally liable.

So yea, CPR... I teach it tommorow to this class of future lifeguards.

Who would have ever thought I'd be doing this?

Training Lifeguards.

WoW.

I've come a long way.

That's right, I said I've come a long way.

Swimmingly and Spiritually.

Thanks Pastor. Thanks Mrs. Boyle.

Thanks for putting confidence in me.

To mentor young girls. To train lifeguards. To teach CPR.

Thanks Jesus.
thanks for everything.

No comments: